I'm a cognitive social psychologist with clinical training and interests. Besides the introductory psychology course, I teach courses on consciousness and on social cognition. My particular research interests are unconscious mental life, especially implicit memory and perception, autobiographical memory, and the self. I have done a great deal of hypnosis research. I received the APA "Early Career" Award in Personality in 1979, and have been elected to the Society of Experimental Psychologists.
- Health Psychology
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (in press). The person-situation interaction. In D. Carlston (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Social Cognition (a volume in the Oxford Library of Psychology). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (in press). Unconscious processes. In D. Reisberg (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Cognitive Psychology (a volume in the Oxford Library of Psychology). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (2010). Social neuroscience: The footprints of Phineas Gage. Social Cognition, 28, 757-782.
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (2009). "So that we might have roses in December": The functions of autobiographical memory. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 23, 1179-1192.
- Kihlstrom, J.F. (2010). An introduction to social cognition. Paper prepared for the Berkeley Social Ontology Group.
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (2008). The automaticity juggernaut. In J. Baer, J. C. Kaufman, & R. F. Baumeister (Eds.), Are we free? Psychology and free will (pp. 155-180). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (2008). The domain of hypnosis, revisited. In M. Nash & A. Barnier (Eds.), Oxford handbook of hypnosis (pp. 21-52). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kihlstrom, J. F. (2006). Trauma and memory revisited. In B. Uttl, N. Ohta, & A. L. Siegenthaler (Eds.), Memory and Emotions: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (pp. 259-291). New York: Blackwell.
- Kihlstrom, J. F., & Cantor, N. (in press). Social intelligence. In R. J. Sternberg (Ed.), Handbook of Intelligence, 3rd ed. (pp. 359-379). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Kihlstrom, J. F., Dorfman, J., & Park, L. (2007). Implicit and explicit learning and memory. In M. Velmans & S. Schneider (Eds.), Blackwell companion to consciousness (pp. 525-539). Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
- Introduction to Psychology
- Scientific Approaches to Consciousness
- Social Cognition
John F. Kihlstrom
Department of Psychology
3210 Tolman Hall, MC 1650
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California 94720-1650
- Phone: (510) 643-3928
- Fax: (510) 642-5293